Friday, June 8, 2012

Max Factor Flipstick Colour Effect Review, Swatches, LOTD

This review is going to give you all sorts of wrong ideas. I'm not that picky usually but I guess I got a little too carried away. Frosty lipsticks aren't for me, but read on if you favour them!

(Source: facebook.com/MaxFactorUK)

Name: Max Factor Flipstick Colour Effect 05 Bloomy Pink, 15 Boreal Mauve, 30 Gypsy Red
Price: £ 8.49
Release: March 2012
Made in: Ireland

The lipstick tubes are bright and cheerful. Even so, I don't know whether I want to be seen carrying them around. I know it's harsh but they look like they are marketed to target children and teens. Packaging could have been more weighty and elegant.


I have a fair amount of Japanese drugstore lipsticks and while they also fail in the heft category they compensate by having gorgeous designs.

Flipsticks are described as having an iridescent colour on one end with a rich creamy colour on the other end. Since these double-ended lipstick have complimentary shades, you can blend, two tone and layer them to your heart’s content.

From left: 05 Bloomy Pink, 15 Boreal Mauve, 30 Gypsy Red



The lipstick bullets are on skinny side and they are very fiddly. They feel as if they would snap into two anytime.

05 Bloomy Pink comes with a tango pink and a prune.



15 Boreal Mauve is a pale red-violet and a rosy fuchsia.



30 Gypsy Red, my favourite, has a sparkly golden orange and a tangerine red.



I wore the darker shade all over with the lighter shade in the centre for all three lip swatches.

As mentioned earlier, these flipsticks have a high frost finish, so they may not work for everyone. They glide on easily with amazing colour payoff; they are opaque with one swipe on my pigmented lips. Because of the formula, these flipsticks can be feel a little drying and they tend to accentuate cracks and lines I knew I had and those I didn't know existed.

I'm sure everyone has seen far more flattering reviews on other blogs, but if you haven't, be sure to check out British Beauty Blogger, Fleur De Force and Vanity Fashionista to name a few.

13 comments :

Jian said...

Oooh I love gypsy red on you! I actually passed on these because I swatched them instore and I'm not a big fan of frosty lipsticks on myself...

Raimar ღ Guevara ღ said...

Wowo my favorit color was 
15 Boreal Mauve  looks really sweet!

Anna said...

Gorgeous swatches though I'm pretty freaked out by the product itself. It's an attempt to make sth become a trend that'll never be one.

Yinnie_C said...

I been looking forward to these but hearing your review makes me a bit cautious. I loved how gypsy red looked in the adverts.

PinkOrchidsSteph said...

I agree, the packaging isn't great! The colour definitely paysoff, it comes out really well, and so shimmery! I'm not a fan of frosty lips, and the colours don't look like they suit me, but thanks for the useful swatches!

Jennifer Huang said...

I love the gypsy red on your lips! i can see why it's your fav~ haha lucky for me, even if they pique my interest.. i am not a lipstick kinda girl, no matter how hard i try to make it happen XD Thanks for the review tho, once they come out here, i'll know to take a pass on these :)

Makeup Morsels said...

I've heard that complaint a lot about these (that they can be drying and accentuate dryness on lips).  Gypsy Red is very gorgeous on you though, and it doesn't look frosty, maybe because of the color combo.  I think I'll pass on these though, just because I need to stay far away from anything drying on my lips! 

Vicky said...

You captured the colours beautifully, they look lovely on you. I agree with the frostiness of the lippies :/

Rick said...

You're a great model, you make them all look good.  Idon't remember seeing two-for-ones like that.  Too bad they're not better packaged.

Beauty Box said...

Yeah frosty lippies are hard to pull off...

PinkOrchidsSteph said...

Reply: Thanks for your comment. The Mandara body cream does come in different ranges, my mum has the honey one, but the pink one is my favourite, i'm just obsessed with the smell and how luxurious it feels without being greasy or oily! 
Haha you would think the gloss would be great in a dim place but if you're in public it really does look odd! I think they should have added an "off" button. xX

Aki! said...

The gold specks in the last picture are gorgeous. 

diana.paperdollrevenge said...

They all look really nice on you, especially Gypsy Red! It's much nicer and different than what I would think from just looking at the lipstick. I'm not a fan of the packaging either, although it also looks similar to Cover Girl flipstick.