Friday, October 30, 2015

The Saem Fresh Bamboo Soothing Gel 99%

I am seeing bamboo gels springing up like mushrooms after the rain. Most of the road shop brands have come out with their own versions and the one that I am reviewing today is by The Saem - a brand near and dear to my heart because of the oh so delectable endorsement models, SHINee *wipes drool*

Name: The Saem 더샘 Fresh Bamboo Soothing Gel 프레쉬 뱀부 수딩 젤 99%
Price: ₩ 6,000 for 260 ml
Made in: Korea

Bamboo has been used for centuries since the Shang Dynasty (16th - 11th century BC) and played an important role in spreading and developing traditional Chinese culture. Since then, its uses have evolved from being writing mediums to construction material and even as a pharmaceutical intermediate.

(Source: Jeffrey Friedl)

Bamboo extract is a rich source of silica, an essential nutrient to keep the skin, nail and hair healthy. It has natural antioxidant properties to neutralise free radicals and environmental toxins that we encounter on a daily basis. This amazing plant also acts as an anti-irritant to soothe and rejuvenate the skin.

99% of this product is made up of bamboo extract from the bamboo grove at Gangneung, a South Korean city. The other 1% consists of greenery such as American Wintergreen, Gotu Kola, Avocado, Ylang-ylang, Kakadu Plum, Mango, Sea-buckthorn, Camu Camu, Rosehip and Acerola alongside some solvents and emulsifiers.

In my humble opinion, it one ups the famed aloe vera gels due to the convenient nature of squeeze tubes. Squeezing the life out of the plastic tube (albeit one shaped like a bamboo shoot) is way more hygienic than dipping my germ-filled fingers into a pot over and over again.

The gel sinks in almost instantaneously leaving the skin feeling cool and fresh. It is not moisturising enough for my face, so I will apply something heavier on top. On the other hand, my body finds it fine on its own! Now you have heard it all, the same person offering contrasting opinions, haha! I use this bamboo gel in a multitude of ways including

Soothing inflamed skin
Lightening stretch marks
Aftershave treatment
Adding luster to hair
Treating blisters

It smells very fresh, which is pretty much like the aloe version (also from The Saem!) except that it has grassier undertones. If you are looking for a natural product that you can utilise from head to toe - this would be it!

The full ingredient list for Fresh Bamboo Soothing Gel 99%:
Phyllostachys Nigra Extract (99%), Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Betaine, Chlorphenesin, Butylene Glycol, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Cananga Odorata Flower Extract, 1,2-Hexanediol, Centella Asiatica Leaf Extract, Madecassoside, Terminalia Ferdinandiana Fruit Extract, Myrciaria Dubia Fruit Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Malpighia Emarginata (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Hippophae Rhamnoides Fruit Extract, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Fruit Extract, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Fruit Extract, Gaultheria Procumbens (Wintergreen) Leaf Extract, Fragrance.